Well this one found us via FFG100 founder Rick G. Yes, it’s his personal car which we’ve all seen and admired at Coffee & Classics® over the years. With concours restored 356s hitting the stratosphere and patina cars right behind, this $61k gem represents a smart investment that you won’t be afraid to actually use regularly.
1965 Porsche 356C, A Great Driving Very Original Touring Car . . . or the solid, rust free foundation for your dream 356 concours winning project!
This is the dream Porsche 356 C – a comfortable, great running Coupe. A fun, easy driver to go on everything from a local Cruise Night or Club Car Show to a trip around the Upper Penninsula or that fantasy cross country Route 66 run. For sale by a long time 356 owner and 356 vintage racer. My third 356 and 28th year as an owner and PCA member.
The last – and arguably BEST – year of this car, a 1965 model. And this rare example is a once-in-a-lifetime find: Bought from the second owner with just over 23,000 miles on the clock, it”s not exactly a “Barn Find” – its a “Storage Unit Find” from the dry, arid part of the country in Oklahoma. Stored the last eight years, it has been carefully and lovingly returned to service.
The front trunk and engine compartment are nicely detailed to original appearance and are very presentable. Everything has an appropriate, correct and unmolested look.
The car drives nicely and the trans shifts smooth as silk. The disc brakes are a pleasure. The correct C engine has no serial number, an indication of a dealer replacement part from the day. The Weber carbs have been gone completely thru and run very well. The entire fuel system was replaced from fuel tank to correct hose and clamps.
The body is a rare solid body. The Ivory color was sprayed back in the 70’s and is showing its age in terms of a bit of crazing here and there, but looks very presentable. A bare metal paint job was also the timne of the addition of the sunroof clip from another 356, a common addition at that time. When you are ready to restore or upgrade the car then you can decide to maintain the current Ivory or restore to the original Slate Grey. Either looks great!
Electrical system has been gone thru and the original 6v is fully functional. Upgraded to an Optima Gel battery which adds reliable starting, yet undetectable in a “cloaking device” case. The addition of a modern flasher unit makes all lights flash and work appropriately. Interior and dash lights all work properly. The starter has been rebuilt along with the correct AM-FM-Marine Blaupunkt radio.
Being an affordable C Coupe here is an opportunity to own the 356 you’ve always dreamed of. If you’ve been watching the prices ratchet up there is no time like the present. The Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is included and shows the car manufactured as a 1964 car, titled as a 1965. This was common at the time to title the car when sold, not manufactured. Here are some more features:
- Solid, Dry Oklahoma Car – last 8 years in storage
- Approx 23,000 original miles
- One repaint – early 70″s – current factory color Ivory.
- Original Color per VIN 218739 Slate Grey
- Correct C engine has no serial number: dealer case replacement
- Aluminum TIG weld of crack at base of oil cooler on engine case – correct proper repair.
- Sunroof has not been opened since lovingly brought out of storage. Note: not originally a sunroof coupe, this sunroof was added as a clip from a donor 356. Not an aftermarket unit.
- Disc Brakes, Trans, Engine complete recent service
- 6V system – Optima Gel battery upgrade with “cloaking device – all lights work
- Excellent Chrome: including wheels, sport luggage rack
- Recent Rebuilds: AM-FM-Marine correct radio, starter, carbs, petcock and tank sender.
- Weber 40 IDF carbs
- New correct fuel line, clamps and fuel tank
- Much fresh rubber and seals
- Red Leatherette Interior
- Rare horn trim ring and ashtray options
- Battery box correctly repaired
- Heater boxes are also original and the heater puts out good heat.
- Owner”s manuals, Lots of dealer receipts and many original parts
- Certificate of Authenticity included.
You email Rick here or call him at 847-540-66 nine nine.